- 8 Semesters (Full-Time) – 480 credits
Programme Entry Requirements
Applicants MUST achieve the minimum requirements in English, Mathematics to be considered for selection to the programme. These requirements may be met by:
- Passing the Polytechnic’s Math, and English Language entry tests.
- Passing Maths, and appropriate English Language Courses in the Foundation (CAP) programme.
Course Fees Download Brochure
Introduction and Programme Aims
This programme is suitable for students interested in the art, science and business of the World Wide Web. Working on real-world projects in teams, students learn all aspects of online digital production then specialise in design, development or management. Students can include courses from the ICT, Visual Design and Business programmes in their Web Media degree.
Combining the art of content development with the technology of multimedia programming, students gain first hand experience in professional website production in both simulated and real work environments.
The programme’s flexible structure allows students to develop their skills in any aspect of website production. Courses will be tailored to the careers that students wish to pursue.
The programme aims to:
- Provide “hands on”, highly interactive learning experiences, taking into account relevant industry issues
of today, as well as issues that will fuel and inspire the fields of internet design, development and e-business in the future.
- Provide an environment which encourages students to achieve excellence within their discipline areas and to develop their cultural and aesthetic sensitivities, leading them to an understanding of those human factors so essential to the communication of information.
A graduate of this programme will have advanced skills in at least 3 of the following areas:
- Web design.
- Streaming multimedia.
- Game design and development.
- Content management.
- Social Media for eMarketing.
- Web creation software.
- Short film production.
- Mobile device programming.
- Information systems project management.
- Internet security.
- Web writing.
There is a shortage of skilled Web specialists and this degree is a preparation for a variety of careers including:
- Web design.
- Web development.
- Games design.
- Interactive multimedia production.
- PHP/MySQL programming.
- eContent for business and government management.
- eBusiness entrepreneurship.
- Online information systems management.
- Search engine marketing.
Graduates will be sought-after employees in any company or sector of the economy which uses websites as part of their business operations, e.g. marketing, travel, banking, government or universities. Many Web specialists choose to become independent contractors, working in several different sectors.
Becoming a Web specialist requires a high level of technical expertise, combined with real-world project experience and problem-solving skills. Students work constantly on website projects, from the design phase through to development, then maintenance and content management.
A problem-based learning approach is used in many courses to encourage learners to develop good teamwork, communication, critical thinking and leadership skills.
Industry placement in eContent departments, advertising agencies, or digital studios will occur from Year 3 of the programme.
- Bachelor of Web Media
In the first year of the programme students study a range of core subjects related to each major: English, Web authority, Internet & multimedia technology and Web design. This enables students to choose majors in later years. In the second year students develop technical skills further and study the business side of the Web Media industry. In the third and fourth years students specialize in technology, design or management and have opportunities to work on industry and community projects to prepare them for entry into the industry.
Problem-based learning is a feature of the programme and this approach develops team working, communication and critical thinking skills which are an essential characteristic of any graduate.
Web Media Courses