The Polytechnic offers a range of learning support for students.
Students can meet with academic staff and PASS leaders in one-to-one sessions, where support and help can be given for the individual learning needs.
Students with learning disabilities or challenges can get help and support from the learning specialist and Student Counsellor. This can include a range of support and help to ensure students are ready to learn and succeed.
Students can make appointments to enhance their skills in a range of areas:
- Grammar and writing
- Presentation skills
- Study skills
- APA referencing
- Time management
- Reflection writing
Students can book sessions for English & Math at the Academic Skill Centre.
Student should see the Learning Support Specialist for help, if they have a learning disability, learning challenges, need assessment accommodations or have other learning needs or concerns.
PASS leaders (student tutors) are available to assist students in improving their learning for specific courses. Check the posters around the campus or come up to the LLC.
A range of workshops are available that can be delivered in the classroom as per tutor request.
Our PASS leaders (student tutors) also assist students in improving their learning in specific courses.
LLC also offers a range of workshops for the Polytechnic that are delivered in the classroom as per tutor request.
- Learn about APA Style 6th edition for referencing information from various sources and writing in-text citations for assignments. Understand the consequences of plagiarism and ways to avoid it.
- Time Management
- Maximise your productivity by creating a realistic schedule. In this workshop, learn techniques to overcome procrastination and keep focused.
- Exam Preparation
- Be better prepared for tests and exams. Learn effective study strategies and techniques to enhance your exam performance.
You can drop in or make an appointments with a Learning Specialist in the following ways:
- Email Kameela Albaqali (Learning Support Specialist)
- Contact us on the following Tel: 1789-7326
- Visit our office in 19-201
Note: Please give 24hr notice to arrange an appointment
On the day of your appointment:
- Arrive on time.
- Late arrivals to appointments (15 min or later) will result in the cancellation of your appointment
- Bring a notebook and pen/pencil.
- Follow-up appointments are to be made by the student.
- Missed appointment times (with or without notification) will be given to other students
- It is the responsibility of the student to reschedule missed appointments
PASS Leaders are students who have been nominated by tutors and Programme Managers from different departments to enhance student learning outside the classroom.
PASS Leaders are available in the Library Learning Centre to assist students on an individual or group basis. They facilitate discussion and explanation of course concepts and assessments. For their availability and times, please refer to the timetable below for the current semester.
Last updated: Semester 2, 2019-2020 .
Applicable until: End of semester.
Every assignment has different research needs and requirements. There is no one way to conduct research, and various strategies can help make your research efforts more effective:
- Choosing and developing a research topic
- Finding books, journals, or articles
- Evaluating resources This is an important part of research. Knowing that the material is valid and accurate is important for your research. See the links below for further information on how to evaluate different resources:
EndNote is a software program that helps you organise your research. EndNote allows you to:
- Record, store, and manage references
- Add references manually or search and download directly from online databases and library catalogues
- Use a feature called Cite While You Write, which allows you to insert references and automatically create bibliographies for your papers
RefWorks is an online research management, writing, and collaboration tool and is designed to help researchers easily gather, manage, store, and share all types of information as well as generate citations and bibliographies. If you need to manage information for any reason, whether it be for writing, research, or collaboration, RefWorks is the perfect tool. Use the tutorials and information resources on this site to work smarter with RefWorks.
A literature review is a critical, in-depth evaluation of research already undertaken on a specific topic. It allows you to demonstrate your ability to identify relevant information to your chosen topic. It will also identify gaps in the research that your work will address. A literature review is an assessment of research previously carried out. Where to find previous research on your topic
- Use databases:
You can search our databases in your subject area to locate earlier journal articles. Use the search term “literature review”, and you may find a good quality literature review, which you can update
- Search Summon:
Input keywords on your topic to find theses similar to your own research. In the left panel of your results, select under Content Type to limit results How to do a literature review
- Use Summon to find items on how to do a literature review. Do a search on “doing literature review” and then, in the left panel, limit your results to see what is available
- The Literature Review: Here are a few tips from the University of Toronto
Always check with your tutor the specific requirements for your literature review.
The LLC team currently offers eleven workshops for the Polytechnic on the following topics that fall under five main categories:
- Study Skills
- Time Management
- Techniques for Successful Paraphrasing
- Effective Listening and Note-taking Skills
- Open Book Exams: Tips and Strategies
- Information Literacy
- APA Referencing
- Introduction to Summon and Databases
- Learning Strategies
- Reading Comprehension Strategies
- Spelling Made Easy
- Communication Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Personal Development
- Success at the Poly: How can it be achieved?
Special assessment for students with suspected learning difficulties/disabilities is available on an appointment basis. For further information, contact Learning Support Services
- Assessment accommodations:
These include additional time for tests/exams, a scribe, or large print. Students may be eligible for accommodations based on the results of specialised assessment