Programme Length and Credits
- 8 Semesters (Full-Time)
- 480 credits
Programme Entry Requirements
- Applicants MUST achieve the minimum requirements in English, Mathematics and IT (if applicable) to be considered for selection to the programme.
- In addition, applicants must submit a portfolio of 10 to 20 examples that has a range of original, developmental and finished works. A portfolio may consist of any type of the student’s creative work.
- If successful at portfolio review, the applicant will attend an interview where they will be chosen according to motivation, maturity, creativity and communication skills.
|Course Fees||Download Brochure|
Introduction and Programme Aims
The Bachelor of Visual Design aims to deliver a successful and effective programme of study of which is distinctly “hands on” and highly interactive that has its foundations in the visual communication industry of today.
Students are encouraged to achieve excellence within their disciplined areas to inspire the growth of their cultural and aesthetic sensitivities; leading them to an understanding of those human factors so essential in the production of communication and information.
The programme’s goal is to develop a student’s awareness of global issues, and of the role the Visual Design graduate will play as a member of the international community. Graduates will have a broad-based knowledge of the design industry and how to adapt and apply skills such as research and critical thinking to situations of today.
On successful completion of this programme, students will have the skills and knowledge to be able to:
- Understand the connection of design and the creative economy using science and technology.
- Work in teams.
- Include social issues in design.
- Address social issues in teams including industry and the community.
- Use design to tell stories of daily life.
- Use design and technology to sustain and simplify our lives.
- Understand and maintain their culture and traditional skills while embracing new technology.
Bachelor of Visual Design graduates will be able to find work in a variety of areas including:
- Advertising agencies
- Animation industry
- Graphic design consultants
- Graphic design educator
- Design studios
- Newspaper industry
- Packaging industry
- Printing industry
- Publishing industry
- Tele-communications industry
- Visual communication
- Web design
- Games design
- Photo journalism
- Set design
- Commercial photography
- Exhibition design
- Brand marketing
- Interactive/haptic interface design
- Type design
- Corporate design
Studio-based learning is practical in its nature and provides an environment that is characterised by diversity and multi-interactions. Courses are delivered primarily face to face through problem-based learning, which is supported by student centred activities and hands on practical skills based lessons. Online learning as well as group discussions, videos, case studies and workshops will support the learning environment. Tutorials, independent research, and assignments will also be used. Assessments include presentations, briefs, group projects, reflective work, peer evaluations, client feedback, and research development.
During year 4 each student will do a design project for a local community not-for-profit organisation. This will be done in the studio under the supervision of Polytechnic’s staff.
The students will also spend a 4 week internship at an established design agency in Bahrain.
- Bachelor of Visual Design
- Diploma in Visual Design
The Bahrain Polytechnic will become a member of the Icograda Educational Network (IEN), a network of Art and Design schools around the world. This will enable students across design disciplines and cultures to raise awareness of the importance of design in the Gulf region.
- English Communication for Design, Design Theory & Methods, Drawing and Colour Theory, Arabic and Roman Typography, Computer Practical, Design Principles & Image Creation, Publication Design, Historical Studies in Design
- English Communication for Design, Typography, Branding Methodology, Computer Practical, Digital Type & Type in Motion, Design Principles & Online Media
- Visual Design: Sustainable Design, Degree Project
- Portfolio preparation & Design, and Internship