Introduction and Programme Aims
The Acceleration Professional Programme is designed with the ultimate aim of equipping students with the knowledge, skills, and training deemed essential for success in highly in-demand careers in various fields such as Business, IT, Art and Design, Travel and Tourism, Vehicle Technology, and Engineering. It capitalizes on actual work placement and situates training in a vocational context, necessitating the practical applications of employability and technical principles.
More specifically, the programme aspires to produce graduates who demonstrate:
- technical and specialized skills vital in diverse work environments
- competence in written and oral discourses across varied audiences in the workplace
- critical thinking and ethical behavior in dealing with various workplace situations
- enthusiasm in the pursuit of agility and lifelong learning
Graduates of the Acceleration Professional Programme will experience a wide range of enriching opportunities that foster the development of their knowledge and skills which satisfy the occupational requirements of the market. They will be able to:
- Communicate effectively across contexts.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in different work environments.
- Use technology, tools, and equipment appropriate in the field of discipline.
- Apply critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Graduates of the Acceleration Professional Programme are trained for further studies or employment opportunities in various sectors such as Engineering, Tourism, Business and IT among others. Potential career pathways include any of the following entry level positions:
- Construction Trade Worker/Leadman (Civil Engineering Track)
- Mechanical Technician Assistant (Mechanical Engineering Track)
- Machine Operator Assistant (Mechanical/Chemical/Instrumentation Engineering Tracks)
- Mechanical Maintenance Technician Assistant (Mechanical Engineering Track)
- Mechanical Store Keeper (Mechanical Engineering Track)
- Junior Motor Vehicle Technician (Vehicle Technology Track)
- Auto Spare Part Sales (Vehicle Technology Track)
- Service Advisor Assistant (Vehicle Technology Track)
- Auto Store Keeper (Vehicle Technology Track)
- Chemical Laboratory Assistant (Chemical Engineering Track)
- Engineering Technician (Electrical and Electronics Track)
- Maintenance Technician (Electrical and Electronics Track)
- Junior Technician (Electrical and Electronics Track)
- Sales Representative
- Customer Care Representative
- Office Assistant
- Front Desk Clerk
Travel and Tourism
- Reservation Agent
- Computer Operator
- PC Technician
- Help Desk Operator
- Sales Technician
- Support Technician
Art and Design
- Junior Graphic Designer
- Art Worker
- Junior Visualizer
- Print Production Assistant
- Junior Illustrator
The entire programme is delivered by Bahrain Polytechnic in collaboration with an array of industrial stakeholders from different market sectors. The companies that serve as the Polytechnic’s partners will help the institution provide exhaustive industry immersion and ensure the best employability development possible for work-ready graduates.
Aspiring to produce skilled and competent workforce that actively partakes in economic development, the Acceleration Professional Programme employs a learner-centred approach with a high degree of autonomy through problem-based and project-based learning. Teaching learning methods involve seminars, self-paced learning, context-specific case studies, practical laboratory activities, and focus group discussion s among others.
Student achievement is assessed rigorously and fairly through appropriate formative and summative assessments which may be carried out individually and/or collaboratively. These assessments may cover the following:
- Case studies
- Portfolio of evidence
In the second semester of the programme, students are required to complete a 15-week industry immersion through work placement in partner companies. Students are obliged to report for work for 8 hours a day, for a period of three days in a week throughout the course of the semester. The work placement component of the programme seeks to provide students the landscape for actual work where they will be guided, monitored and evaluated according to specific job requirements.
Award of Certificate in Acceleration Professional Programme
To achieve the qualification, students must successfully complete all requirements including the total of 9 courses constituting the programme – 5 in the first semester and 4 in the second semester. Communication Skills, Workplace Mathematics, and discipline-specific fundamental courses run common in both semesters. The first semester encompasses ICT and Market Yourself while the second semester covers work placement.