Dr. Owen Gallagher
Academic Qualifications Obtained
|2014||PhD in Visual Culture, National College of Art and Design (NCAD), Dublin, Ireland|
|2009||Higher Diploma in Research Practice, LYIT, Co. Donegal, Ireland|
|2007||MDes in Design Communication, University of Ulster, Derry, Northern Ireland|
|2004||BDes in Digital Media, LYIT, Co. Donegal, Ireland|
|2003||Diploma in Graphic Design, LYIT, Co. Donegal, Ireland|
|2011-present||Academic Tutor, Bahrain Polytechnic, Kingdom of Bahrain|
|2010-2011||Assistant Lecturer, IT Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland|
|2008-2010||Assistant Lecturer, LYIT, Co. Donegal, Ireland|
|2007-2008||Assistant Lecturer, University of Ulster, Derry, Northern Ireland|
Relevant Industry Expertise
|2004-2011||Freelance Graphic, Web & Digital Media Designer, CHI Media, Ireland|
|2005-2007||Graphic, Web & Digital Media Designer, The Dealer Group, Ireland|
|2004-2005||Graphic, Web & Digital Media Designer, John Duffy Design Group, Ireland|
Areas of Research Interest
Remix studies, visual semiotics, intellectual property
Critical Remix: The Role of Sampling in Transformative Works
Remix is the practice of producing media objects composed of previously published media elements, which have been appropriated, repurposed and reconfigured in the creation of new works. There is growing confusion over the meaning of ‘remix’ in mainstream and academic discourse, which has resulted in a broadening of the term to include non-remixed cultural texts, such as remakes, adaptations and parodies. Remix is now considered by many to be a form of derivative work; however, it is a fundamentally transformative practice. Such generalizations have resulted in numerous non-commercial remixes being wrongfully accused of copyright infringement. This ongoing research project is supported by the websites www.criticalremix.com, www.remixstudies.com and www.totalrecut.com
- Eduardo Navas, Owen Gallagher and xtine burrough, 2014, “The Routledge Companion to Remix Studies”, Routledge: USA.
- Owen Gallagher, 2014, “Reclaiming Remix: The Critical Role of Sampling in Transformative Works”, PhD, NCAD: Ireland.
- Gallagher, Owen, 2013, “Remix Semiosis as Ideology Critique: A Visual Semiotic Study of Critical Remix Video”, Gramma Journal of Theory and Criticism (Vol.20, No.1), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki: Greece.
- Gallagher, Owen, 2012, “The Assault on Creative Culture: Politics of Cultural Ownership”, The Participatory Cultures Handbook, Aaron Delwiche & Jennifer Henderson (Eds), Routledge: USA.
Boards, Advisory committees, Professional organizations
- Member, Web Media Programme Committee, 2014
- Member, International Association of Visual Semiotics, Argentina, 2012