- 3 Semesters (Full-Time) plus 1 semester of industrial work-placement – 190 credits
Programme Entry Requirements
- Applicants must achieve the minimum requirements in the English and Mathematics entry tests OR passing Maths and English courses in the Foundation programme.
Course FeesApply Now
Introduction and Programme Aims
The Diploma in Engineering Technology (DEngTech) program is a technically strong qualification that aims to provide qualified graduates to meet the industry needs locally, regionally and internationally. The qualification provides a wide base of petroleum and process plants operations and maintenance related knowledge and skills upon which graduates can build to reflect on the wide range of similar fields and industries locally and regionally. There is emphasis on industrial and petroleum processes, engineering practices, fluid mechanics and maintenance of hydraulic systems, material science, oil and gas separation, well drilling, process instrumentation, monitoring techniques, H&S at workplace environment, sustainability to suit not only the refinery but also the petrochemical, aluminum and manufacturing industries as well.
Students gain advanced theoretical knowledge and specialist practical skills in the areas of Mechanics (Static and Dynamic), workshop practice, material science, manufacturing process, energy and sustainability, health and safety, instrumentation, engineering ethics, industrial practices and plants’ operation and processes. Students are introduced to software packages for 3-Dimensional modelling software as well. SolidWorks is integrated and used extensively throughout the programme.
The aim of this qualification is to provide students with the knowledge, comprehensive set of skills, abilities and attributes for employment in the petroleum and plant processing sector as operators.
The applied focus of this award combines the necessary blend of core competencies and the understanding of key petroleum and industrial processing-related technological principles and their applications in a safety and environmentally critical context.
On successful completion of this programme, students will have the skills and knowledge to be able to:
- Apply procedural knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to deal with defined and applied engineering procedures, processes and systems.
- Utilize research literature to contribute to the solution of broadly-defined engineering problems using analytical tools.
- Demonstrate commitment to professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practice.
- Recognize the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to engineering technology practice
- Contribute to the design of solutions for defined industry and engineering technology problems and of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Plan, organize and execute operations and monitor processes in industry according to local, regional and international standards.
- Locate and select relevant data from codes, databases and literature, identify and conduct experiments to provide valid conclusions.
- Use appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering tools to broadly-defined engineering activities in industrial applications.
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of workplace hazards, safety and environmental management, hazard and apply H&S rules in industry workspace.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic operation and processes of plants and refineries.
- Practice as a professional using 21st century skills.
- Observe, monitor and control operations in oil and gas and plants’ processes.
This qualification equips graduates with the knowledge and skills required to start their engineering career as technician engineers or operators, especially at the petroleum industries.
This programme prepares students for the following further learning, careers and/or employment opportunities:
- Refinery plant technician or operator
- Maintenance engineering technician
- Industrial process engineering technician
- Project Management engineering technician
- Process engineering technician
- Oil well technician
- Reservoir engineering technician
- Drilling operators
- Process control operator
- Measurement, monitoring and control processing
- Exploration and field operator
The programme is delivered through a mixture of classroom teaching, tutorials, guest speakers, online (web-based), laboratory work, workshops, problem-based learning, supervised brief and extended projects, field trips and workplace experience. Assessment of courses is both formative and summative, and typically includes a mix of tests, assignments, laboratory reports, presentations, project reports and examinations.
Students are required to complete 60 days of approved work placement. It is expected that this will occur after the competition of the 3 semester’s period of studies.
Diploma in Engineering Technology (Petroleum and Process Plant operations)
The Diploma in Engineering Technology (Petroleum and Process Plant Operations) offered at Bahrain Polytechnic is designed and delivered in such a way, after extensive interaction with the Bahrain Engineering and industry society, in order to provide work-ready engineering technology graduates. The graduates will acquire technical knowledge in their respective fields, specialized practical skills and valuable employability skills.
The qualification is placed at NQF level 6 and is delivered in a 3 semesters’ period. Students are expected to take 60 to 65 credits on average per semester and thus at the completion of their studies they should have accumulated a total of 190 credits. In those 190 credits, 30 credits of English courses are included, and the remaining 160 credits are taken from core and specialized engineering courses. Additionally, students are required to complete a total of 60 work placement days.
The uniqueness of the Diploma EngTech qualifications at Bahrain Polytechnic is the strong commitment of the institution to deliver these qualifications using blended and student-centred learning and more specifically, the Problem-Based Learning (PBL) Methodology. Using this learning methodology allows us to provide the required theoretical knowledge, practical skills and employability skills to our graduates. This will result in enterprising and work-ready graduates that can contribute to their society and economy, particularly the oil and gas and manufacturing industry. The PBL methodology is implemented through the design of appropriate assignments that motivate students to provide a solution to an engineering design and/or analysis of a problem and includes real work scenarios, long-term project development and simulated environments. Students are required to complete lab experiments, software practical assignments, design projects, controlled assignments such as theoretical tests, and to provide rational justification for their work through the preparation of technical reports, presentations and posters. The theoretical knowledge given to the students is provided through a balanced combination of lectures, tutorials, experimental work, project work and one-to-one supervision with the Faculty Members.