Dr. Christos Gatzoulis
|2007||PhD in Adaptive Autonomous Artificial Characters, University of Teesside, UK|
|2001||MSc in Computer Aided Graphical Technology Applications, University of Teesside, UK|
|1997||BSc(Hons) in Mathematics, Aristotle University, Greece|
|2011-Present||ICT Tutor, Bahrain Polytechnic, Bahrain|
|2010-2011||Visiting Lecturer in IT, Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus|
|2008-2011||As Visiting Lecturer in Computer Science, University of Cyprus, Cyprus|
|2007-2008||Lecturer in Computer Science, Intercollege, College of Further Education, Cyprus|
|2003-2006||Lecturer (Part-Time) in Computing, University of Teesside, UK|
|2013-Present||BICT Programme Manager, Bahrain Polytechnic, Bahrain|
|2011||Research Associate in Games, Cyprus University of Technology, Cyprus|
|2007||Software Engineer, D-Cubed Group, Siemens Automation & Drives, UK|
|2005-2006||Director and Programmer, “Robot-VC” project. University of Teesside, UK|
Researcher and Developer in the Laboratory of Virtual Reality, at the Institute of Telematics & Informatics, Centre for Research & Technology Hellas, Greece
Affective computing for games, technical game development, games in education.
Automatic Emotion Recognition Based on Body Motion for Games
This on-going research project has been conducted in collaboration with the University of Cyprus since 2011. The research aims to develop an automatic system that can recognise emotions of game players based on their body motion information and with the use of motion analysis techniques.
- Zacharatos, H., Gatzoulis, C., Chatzitofis, A., Chrysanthou, Y.,: Recognizing Emotional Expressiveness in Raw 3D Body Motion Data, MIG15, Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on Motion in Games 2015. November 2015, Paris, France. (extended abstract publication)
- Zacharatos, H., Gatzoulis, C., Chrysanthou,.Y.: Automatic Emotion Recognition based on Body Movement Analysis: A Survey, In “The Next Big Thing”, Special Issue of IEEE Magazine Computer Graphics and Applications, Nov/Dec 2014
- Zacharatos, H., Gatzoulis, C., Chrysanthou, Y., Aristidou, A.: Emotion Recognition for Exergames using Laban Movement Analysis, MIG13, Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on Motion in Games 2013. November 2013, Dublin, Ireland.
- Zacharatos, H., Gatzoulis, C., Chrysanthou, Y.: Affect recognition during Active Gameplay based on Posture Skeleton Data. GRAPP2013, 8th International Conference on Computer Graphics Theory and Applications, February 2013, Barcelona, Spain.
- Zaharias, P., Gatzoulis, C., Chrysanthou, Y.: Exploring user experience while playing educational games: focus on temporality and attractiveness. International Journal of Gaming and Computer-Mediated Simulations, Vol 4(4), 2012.
- Loizides, F., Zaphiris, P., Gatzoulis, C.: Computer Game Research & Industry in a Small Nation. Fun and Games 2012 Conference, September 2012, Toulouse, France. (poster paper publication)
- Zacharatos, H., Gatzoulis, C., Chrysanthou, Y.: Affect recognition for games using posture skeleton data. CWSPI12, 5th Cyprus Workshop on Signal Processing and Informatics, July 2012, Nicosia, Cyprus. (abstract)
- Zahran, R., Pringuet, P., Prendergast, T., Gatzoulis, C. , Boldi, R., Radicevic, M.: Blending Project Management and Problem Base Learning in ICT Capstone Projects, 4th Annual Polytechnic Summit, June 2012, Atlanta, US.
- Gatzoulis, C.: “A Multiple Level Behavioural System for Crowd Simulation in Computer Games”. 3IA 2010 International Conf. on Computer Graphics and Artificial Intelligence, May 2010, Athens, Greece.
- Gatzoulis, C.: “Application of Learning Algorithms on the Design of Autonomous Adaptive Artificial Characters”. PhD Thesis, School of Computing, University of Teesside, 2007.
- Tang, W., Wan, T.R., Gatzoulis, C.: “Interactive Physics-based Motion Synthesis with Adaptive Optimisation”. CASA07, International Conference on Computer Animation and Social Agents, June 2007, Hasselt, Belgium.
- Gatzoulis, C., Sourgoutsidis, A., Hurmusiadis, V., Tang, W.: “Adaptive Social Relationships between Robots and Virtual Characters in Real Worlds”. RO-MAN06. 15th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, IEEE Press, pp. 8-13, September 2006, Hertfordshire, UK.
- Gatzoulis, C., Tang, W., Stoddart, W.J.: “Evolving Body Kinematics for Virtual Characters”. TPCG06. Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2006 Conference (EGUK), Eurographics Digital Library, pp. 203-210, June 2006, Teesside, UK.
- Gatzoulis, C.: “Robot-VC Project”. The Digital City Book 06. G. Edwards, Falcon Press, 2006.
- Gatzoulis, C., Tang, W., Wan, T.R.: “Fuzzy Reinforcement Learning For An Evolving Virtual Robot”. RO-MAN04. 13th IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, IEEE Press, pp. 685-690, September 2004, Kurashiki, Japan.
- Gatzoulis, C., Tang, W., Wan, T.R.: “Fuzzy Reinforcement Learning with Exploration and a Probability Distributed Reward Mechanism – Evolution of Virtual Agents”. Mech-Rob04. IEEE Conf. in Mechatronics and Robotics, IEEE Press, pp.281-286, September 2006, Aachen, Germany.
- Tang, W., Gatzoulis, C., Wan, T.R.: “Proactive Anticipatory Virtual Characters: An Ethology Approach.” IASTED Conference in Applied Simulation and Modelling 2004, ACTA Press, June 2004, Rhodes, Greece.
- Member, Research Committee, Bahrain Polytechnic, Bahrain, 2013-Present
- Member, EDICT Faculty Board, Bahrain Polytechnic, Bahrain, 2013-Present
- Member, ICT Programme Comiittee, Bahrain Polytechnic, Bahrain, 2011-Present
- Chair, Bahraini Game Jam Committee, Bahrain, 2014
- Chair, GCC Game Jam Committee, Bahrain, 2015